|The Lancer:||Skills •||Glyphs •||Weapons •||Armour|
|Combat range||Short (5 meters)|
|Movement speed||Slow (105%)|
- "Steadfast defenders, fearsome attackers."
The lancer is a heavily armored class which specializes in a lance with melee defensive capabilities.
The lancer wields a large shield alongside its lance, which it can use to fend off most attacks. After fending off an attack, the lancer can retaliate from a distance with its lance. In order to balance this, the lancer is very slow.
Official description Edit
As powerful in defense as in attack, the lancer’s role in a fight is at the head of the formation. His heavy shield absorbs damage, while his lance provides striking power that’s targeted yet effective against multiple foes. Numerous skills for drawing aggro let the lancer take the heat and give his party members more opportunities. Lancers can minimize damage to their own party and help them devastate the enemy."
Equipment and attributes Edit
The lancer is equipped with metal armor for great increase on the defense lines. Being of the only two classes to wear the metal equipment gives the lancer a big advantage, especially when the shield enters the scene of play. Although not the fastest of attack speeds, the Lance is a great weapon which fends off enemies in a direct cone of sight of the attacker toward the enemy, dealing massive damage to anyone within that range.
Lancers should focus on increasing their damage absorbing as top priority by improving their lance. The higher item level the lance, the more damage absorption it has. It is recommended to focus on getting mana since a lancer without any mana is completely defenseless. While looking for common items, picking equipment with more mana is very recommended above movement speed as the lancer will have to stand and defend attacks, opposed to the warrior's way of fighting which involved evasion. While looking for attributes for enchanting, lancers should be on the lookout for attributes that increase their aggro from enemies, mana regeneration and healing received.
Skills and racial traits Edit
Lancers are capable of an incredible amount of defense power thanks to their defending skill Stand Fast. When the enemy is vulnerable after a successful block, the lancer will abuse the chance and Shield Counter. Knocking down the enemy might be hard, but thanks to Debilitate the job will be done even quicker, and when it doesn't budge, the lancer will fight with might and bash with their Shield Barrage, followed by a Spring Attack. If that doesn't work, Shield Bash will surely do the job. And if the enemy decides to change their mind and target a different group member, the lancer will pull it back easily with Leash, and if one leash was not enough, will chain 6 enemies and pull them toward the lancer.
Being able to pick between one of the seven races proves to be a tough choice. Each race has their own unique racial traits that can effectively improve the gameplay of the lancer, depending on race choice:
- Amani have a lot of defensive capabilities coming from , and which can greatly increase their survivability chances, although has a smaller hitbox compared to Baraka, but is negligable.
- Baraka have , a healing ability that can fully recover all health, and more mobility coming from , and which gives them more health than any others, only when they constantly die. The Baraka also has the biggest hitbox, making them the easiest to target when being healed.
- Castanic have which increases their running speed during combat for dodging magic circles, and which gives them a higher chance to shoot a critical hit from the back.
- High elves have which completely recovers their mana, and which restores an amount of mana upon revival to get back into combat quickly.
- Humans have and which greatly increases their defense when facing enemy players, aside from that, they got which restores an amount of health upon revival to get them back into combat quickly.
- Poporis and elins have nothing that could assist a lancer in combat. Instead, they get multiple abilities for non-combat situations such as swimming and movement speed outside combat. Also, their hitboxes are the smallest, which for healers are more difficult to target.
Importance of hitbox Edit
Lancers have the unique ability to block attacks for those standing in front of them. They block attacks with their shield, and is based off the size of the model's hitbox. Hitboxes are based on race size, but have been "normalized" (slightly reduced for baraka and amani, and slightly enlarged for elins, poporis and castanics). Even after being "normalized" Baraka have the largest hitbox and elin have the smallest. When choosing a lancer race it is important to take the size of the hitbox into account as this will determine how much damage you will block for people behind you as well as how easy it is for the healer to target you.
As said before, the Lancers are unique in tanking. Warriors are also capable of tanking, but are based on evasion rather than tanking head on. In dungeons against bosses, lancers are always preferred over warriors.
Lancers have a rather low damage output. Instead, their skills are mostly focused on stunning the monsters, holding aggro and taking all the blows that enemies throw at you while taking the least damage possible, if any at all.
Lancers are very possible to play solo, but they level much faster in a party. When grinding BAMs, there are three things a lancer has to do.
- Keep the boss in place. The DPS characters should be behind the boss while you take the front. Of course the BAM will jump around a bit, but you shouldn't move if the BAM doesn't.
- Hold aggro! This can't be stressed enough. Melee DPS characters have crystals which make them stronger when they attack from behind. If they put out too much DPS, the aggro may switch and the BAM will turn around. This is the moment you use your skills (Challenging Shout) to regain aggro; you'll want to use that skill every time it's off cooldown.
- Block everything! There's nothing worse than a dead tank. If the BAM is new to you, and you aren't familiar with its attack patterns, you'd better play a bit more passively than wait until the last moment to block.
Glyphs and crystals Edit
Specializing in glyphs like all classes means a great deal to customization. Notable glyphs are:
|25px||This section requires an expansion. |
|25px||This section requires an expansion. |
|Defense||Melee Offense||Ranged Offense||Support|